Sunday, August 9, 2009

THIS TOWN by hayley

Child, inside this Book of Monsters creeps
not a thing unreal (I’ve seen the filthiest
claws stalk ‘cross the pages --
scratch the books of History).

Here, in this Town of Monsters,
I’ve walked up and down the darkest streets,
little as I am, (too tired to be afraid);
I have never heard a human name.

Once, I made a vow to keep
my soft hands clean of scaling skin,
but then, in bright-spark flashing flame
lightning struck and broke my teeth.

For my apartment shakes with monsters.
they never stay for long, they go
fast like cigarettes, (like men)
and now, Faith, my son is dead.
my darling son is dead.

So, to hide myself, and you, from them
I’ve draped over my perfect skin, my
perfect human body, a thick and shapeless drape.
(I will never be naked again).

I will hide until they leave
Or at least until they sleep.

Child, it’s overrun with monsters
and they still control the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment